Friday, November 28, 2014

Why I blog about adoption

My Facebook friends- you know the ones who haven't seen me since high school or used to work with me three years ago or knew me during my cancer struggle- they often tell me how beautiful my family is.  How adorable my kids are.  Ive been told that my kids look like angels, at which I laughed until I snorted and choked on air.

But I actually get it.  Our family is a little bit different and it APPEARS to be great.

My kids are pretty photogenic...so Facebook gives a great impression.

But they are still REAL kids.  Adopted kids aren't some different breed of kids.  They have real issues, real tantrums and real nights where they don't sleep.

{Just like your bio kids.}

No, I didn't feel our two babies grow in my belly.   I didn't have heartburn for months or morning sickness.  But these kiddos are every bit as much mine as biological kids.  I truly feel no differently towards biological kids and adopted kids.  All four of my kids were sent to my arms in the way God had planned.  And if EVERYONE understood that, adoption wouldn't seem so "different."

I love to talk about adoption. I love to encourage it.  I love to even present the obligation we Christians have to the orphan.

Because I have a huge passion for my family.

And if the general population didnt already agree that parenting was a wonderful thing, I would blog about that.  Thank goodness, society already GETS that parenting and family is priceless.  It's important and rewarding, and everyone dreams of a life with a white picket fence and kids.

But the general population doesn't all agree that adoption is wonderful.  I would say a large part of our population never even CONSIDERS adopting, or any form of orphan care.  And because of that, I blog about adoption.  I advocate for the orphan.  I promote adoption.  I LOVE adoption.

Just like you love parenting.  
Adoption actually IS parenting for me. Adoption IS family for me.

So I want to talk about it with you.  I want to write about it.  I want it to become normal so our family and every family like us doesn't feel different.  (And this isn't for the parents' sake, we knew what we were getting into.  The unborn child who eventually became mine had no idea she/he was going to be "adopted.")

Once I feel like our society gets it, I will stop talking about it.  It won't be relevant.  Once everyone understands that kids need families, whether or not that family looks like them, I will stop my preaching on why we should take care off orphans - you know,  BESIDES that God wants us to.

No comments:

Post a Comment