Thursday, July 16, 2015

My family is choosing to homeschool

I begin to write this blog with some trepidation.  A little bit of fear.

But Dan and I have decided that for next year, and many years after, our children will be homeschooled.

The curriculum is bought, a homeschool room is in the works, and this momma has been doing a lot of  reading...my husband would say, a lot of BUYING things, also.  :)

And although I am somewhat scared to begin this journey- who wouldn't be?  The success and failure of your precious children's learning is now solely on my shoulders! Ahh!- I have become very excited.  Looking at P's kindergarten curriculum and all the activities I will get to share with him that I know are right up his alley...and teaching A's US history course and incorporating my beloved American Girl book collection in with the readings... is FUN!

If you know me, you know that I LOVE our community.  Our town is a little slice of Heaven in my eyes.  And our school district is top notch.
So when people ask why we've chosen to homeschool, I think some either believe I dont like the public school system or that we've had some very big problem with something at the school A attended for kindergarten and first grade.
That simply isn't the case.  Her teacher was AMAZING and so loving last year and really helped her work through some vision issues that she had in the last part of the year, while she was patching her eye.
I dont have a great answer for why we are choosing this path.  The best I can give is that while I have had confidence in our schools in town, I also believe that my family would work best as a family unit united in the home setting.  I have run from the idea of homeschooling for over a year, because it seems SCARY.  I am not the most organized woman by nature.  I can imagine sibling wars throughout the day.  Will my kids become unsocialized, and not know how to be in the public setting? And what if my children dont learn well from me?

This homeschooling idea has been with me for several years.  I think it is a great system for families and provides so much freedom to teach what and how is best for the individual child.
That being said, it totally isn't feasible for some families where both parents need to {or want to} work... or for single parents.  Im lucky enough to not be in those categories.

BUT... I have also been eagerly planning the day when all my kids were in school, and I could pick up a part time job.  {I think Dan and I will always dream of a time when we aren't living paycheck to paycheck, depending on God to come through for our finances to all add up each month...But maybe thats the point.  We are SUPPOSED to depend on God to provide, right?!  Anyway, I digress....}

The homeschooling idea has followed me and several times this year when Alayna has struggled with self esteem/ insecurities, I have thought to myself, "Wouldn't this have been easier if she were just homeschooled?"
E.g. Since Alayna has a (very) lazy eye and poor vision, we've been working on different methods to help her.  Last year, we dilated her strong eye for three months, which didnt help at all, perhaps made things worse.  This year we are patching the good eye to strengthen the lazy eye.  Alayna, who generally has a very sensitive, slightly self conscious personality wanted to stay home when she first had to wear the patch.  She was afraid the boys would be mean to her.  But that weekend that we began the patches, I waited to see how she would feel about putting the patch on for church.  She put it on without hesitation.  When I asked her how she felt about going to church that day, she said, "I dont care. No one at church will make fun of me.  Everyone there knows Jesus and is nice."

Be still my beating heart.

I believe that our kids will thrive in a Christian environment, where Jesus is praised throughout the day,  and not stuffed into a box they can't open until they get outside school doors.

I think God has been telling me to homeschool, I have been running away from the responsibility.  And yet, God has chased me down, and finally, now, I am doing my best to listen and obey.

{And my little idea of obtaining a part time job has already panned out.  I am now providing daycare for the sweetest  little baby, and earning just a little extra for the family fun money.  So God is providing again...Trust in Him, and just watch what happens, folks. }

Since I have made the decision to teach my kids at home, I have grown this huge excitement for it.  And that nasty thing called fear is slipping away.  

{So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you and with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10}

No comments:

Post a Comment