Monday, December 9, 2013

The more the merrier(?)

I'm starting to see a new trend in families. When I was growing up,  parents seemed very happy with two children...Maybe three.  I have an aunt and uncle with four children and to me, THAT was a big family.
And I knew I wanted that.  My mom had three sisters.  My dad had three brothers.  Family of fours (six counting ma and pa) in the fifties.  I can remember being in my grandparents' basement at Christmas FULL of my aunts and uncles and cousins, and thinking "We are ALL here because of Grandma and Grandpa." It was a powerful,  amazing feeling.  That group grew with cousins marrying and having children of their own.  I loved that large crazy bunch at holidays.  And I couldn't help but feel proud of my grandparents for making it happen.

When thinking of my future,  that's what I want.  One large,  loud,  diverse group of family... One that is here because of the love between Dan and me.  And I'm sure we are on our way.  I am a step mom to one.  Biological mom to two.  And I hope to be an adoptive mother to one or two in the coming future. Four or five kiddos.  I'm not sure.  God is aware what's in store for us.  And He's lead us here in a crazy, unconventional way.  But He made us for this and it's easy to see that He was guiding us to a large family,  when I examine my past.

And we're not alone.  Nearly all my friends with families have three or more kiddos.  I have a friend with nine.  And several with four or five.  I'm not sure if I'm deliberately choosing friends with big families or if a bird of a feather naturally flock together... Or is it really becoming more common to see larger families than that of my childhood? 

One thing I have noticed though,  is that those larger families tend to have closer connections to their faith.  Is it because we love God that we are blessed with the responsibilities of raising more children in His name?    Or is it because we have so many children that we feel we need Him more?   (I know I need His guidance more now than ever before.... as my kids test my patience and sanity regularly :))

Either way. Family is a blessing.  Whatever it looks like.  However it is created.  Wherever it takes us.

No comments:

Post a Comment