Sunday, August 24, 2014

Looking at the immigrant issue...from the Christian perspective

I have been reading the bible much more than I ever have.

And its not easy to do with the kid circus in my home.


Each morning, I have my coffee maker programmed to start brewing at 645 am.  My bibles (yes, plural) open on the table.  After my coffee is made, I sit down, and dive in.


Im reading from front to back, and I have made my older kids aware that when I am reading Gods word, I don't want to be interrupted.  I spend at least 30 minutes reading.  I get distracted a few times, but Daniel Tigers Neighborhood can entertain G for at least fifteen minutes.


Leviticus shook me, several times, for several reasons.


But something that I walked away with, and noted, was Leviticus 19:33-34.

‘If a foreigner resides with you in your land, you must not mistreat him. The foreigner who resides with you should become to you like a native among you; and you must love him as yourself, for you were foreign residents in the land of Egypt. I am the Lord your God."

You knew this is where I was going with this, right?


Our country has a big issue with immigrants coming here.  We are increasingly aware of the reasons, when there are tens of thousands of immigrant children here as of late.  The nation isn't showing the compassion that our own ancestors were shown.  We aren't living by Lady Liberty's invitation, 

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Our leaders are worried about our resources.  We worry if our own citizens will have enough.   In a country of abundance.  We worry about if our nation has enough MONEY to help these children, as we care for our own.

I laugh when I think about that.  A country who mint has IN GOD WE TRUST, we worry if we will have enough money to help those in need.    

Maybe, if we spent a little less time worrying about if we will have a monetary crisis by helping others, maybe we should spend more time in God's word, live by his Word, and act on that simple phrase printed on each of our dollar bills.  Then I will tell you, we would have nothing to worry about.
IN GOD WE TRUST.

No comments:

Post a Comment