Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Modern Moses

In the past, I have tried to keep my blog mostly personal, about my family or my opinions on certain topics.

I specifically left out that I started an organization called Modern Moses, quickly following the adoption of my daughter, G.
I intended this organization to become a network of adoptive families in Iowa.  I wanted to link families with other families who shared a common core.  Parents who love on children who may not share the same genetics.  Children who share the same route in which they were lead to their forever families.  I long for a circle of love, trust, and mutual support within Modern Moses.

I have been praised for the name of this organization, Modern Moses, it holds such a biblical importance, everyone says.   God gave Moses an amazing ability to change history.  He was a very important person in the Christian faith.  Fellow Christians easily recognize his significance.  But he is also known in the Islam and Judaism faiths.  There is no denying that God truly used him for good.

Moses, the man, was a prince, a deliverer, a prophet.  He encountered God, one on one, several times.  God revealed His name to Moses, and ordered him to save His people.  It is through Moses' life that we witness several miracles.  The burning bush, in which, even all our children can tell you about, or the Red Sea parting to save the Israelites.  We see God speak to Moses and give him the Laws that all His people were to obey.

Truly, I could go on all day about Moses.  But I am not programmed as a preacher, and I would most definitely do him an injustice.

Going back to my Modern Moses organization, and why I named it that.

Looking at Moses, you could think, he was an influential and important enough man, and he alone is why I chose that name.

Not at all.

I chose the name because of the significance of Moses' birth mother.  Her faith that she could put her baby in a basket and it would float down the river and into the arms of another woman who would take in this child.  Her faith that he wouldn't drown, or be found by one of Pharaoh's men, and be killed.

(We could talk about Moses' life all day, but everything that he did, or every encounter he had with God, would never have happened if it wasn't for orphan care, if it wasn't for adoption.)

That faith in God, entrusting a child to be be cared for by a family who doesn't share blood, but just shares love and compassion.  Faith that by taking that risk, the child will live a better life.

That is what adoption was to me.  A huge step in faith.

BUT....
Why I am writing this blog today, is because of what I recently recognized.  And it ties to my recent blog posts.
I have been torn up inside about these Central American children living in our country.  I have been enraged by our response of putting them in facilities like prisons or warehouses.
And I have cried thousands of tears over their previous lives.  Lives that were so dangerous, and violent.  What these kids have seen in their own back yards makes me cringe.  These conditions in which a parent has to let go of their greatest treasure- their children.

Ive suffered imagining how bad a life or a world can be that a parent would send their own flesh and blood- their heart- away to a foreign land, with just a faith that they would survive.  A hope that wherever they land, they are loved, protected, and that they thrive.

{Did the light bulb just go on for you, too?}

This scenario has happened before.  And what has come out of it, was unquestionably one of the greatest stories of the Bible.
A mother, who sent her three month old baby down the river in a basket.  Hoping he would live.
Because the alternative was his death.  

These Central American kiddos' moms and dads have had to send their babies away on a dangerous trek to America, because the alternative most likely could be death, violence, poverty, corruption.

And we need to be the Pharaohs daughter.

It may go against everything logical, as I would have expected it to back in bible times.  Pharaoh had ordered all Hebrew baby boys to be killed.  But there was his own daughter taking one out of the water, and raising it as a prince.  It defies a sense of rationale.

And God works that way.

If God can work wonders with a man, raised by the same people who had ordered his death, what can He do with with these thousands of children being sent here?
Miracles.  Wonders.

These kids are my Modern Moses.
And every kid like them.

{And I just got it!}

So I can say that the adoption support group is going to be getting tweaked.  We will be an adoption support group with an orphan care focus.

(And I think God was guiding me here all along.)

No comments:

Post a Comment